The Plaques Are Back

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I will try to make this a non-yuck inducing post but I just have to gripe about my ridiculous body. I have psoriasis which essentially is really, really, really, dry skin, like no amount of lotion will ever cure this sh*t dry. I have it on my elbows, legs, hands, back, and scalp. The spots where I am affected are called plaques, which can peel, itch, and crack, pretty much the most unpleasant thing ever.

Since Thanksgiving I have been plaque free due to the new medication I am on which was supposed to treat both psoriasis and arthritis, but based on my previous post from Saturday, that didn't go so well. This medication was supposed  to treat my psoriasis for at least 8 weeks...until the middle of February, here I am in the middle of January with scale-y elbows and redness coming back to the spots on my leg. UGH! The next step in medication game would be injections of a drug called Methotrexate which I currently take orally, but guess what that doesn't work either! By the way, Methotrexate also treats cancer, I have probably fried my insides by now.

Usually I can deal with my many pains, aches, and skin that falls off, but some days, when I struggle to take off my shirt because my elbows hurt too bad and then watch as the skin flakes fly out of the sleeves like confetti I just want to crawl into my bed and stay until the warmth of spring comes my way. Speaking of spring...another 6 inches of snow is forecasted to hit the area on Thursday. Snow day? Perhaps...I am not teaching this week because of a special program so really I am indifferent.

Off to bed, so hopefully I won't eat anything else. Tonight's menu consisted of two slices of Pizza Hut, a bowl of Lucky Charms, and Lion's Choice...and I could still eat.

You Might Also Like

0 comments