What Did I Get Myself Into?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Holy moly! I have been a homeowner for a week and half and it has been a whirlwind to say the least. The boyfriend and I definitely worked hard last week, buying furniture, scrubbing baseboards, painting, moving boxes, painting, and oh, did I mention painting?

And I feel like I barely made a dent. I still am living out of boxes from the spare bedroom but finally broke down and got the bathroom together...after sporting a perma-ponytail for a week it was time for some decent grooming to resume.

This may have been my uniform for the week...

Last week was physically exhausting, Chris and I literally collapsed into bed every night around 2am and somehow managed to wake up before 8 or 9 the next morning to wait for deliveries or get started on a project. I really have to hand to Chris who NEVER wakes up early for putting up with me last week. That man was a trooper but it made me so happy to see him working right along side me.

Organized chaos is how I would best describe last week, every day was met with new challenges and successes. We successfully painted the living room, dining room, hallway, and bedroom in ONE day. I don't yet have a lot of the after pictures because things are in such disarray around here but they will be up soon. In between painting, I also painted my kitchen counter tops.
 Before...a lovely shade of mauve. BLEGH!

After! Ta-Da!

Close up of the paint.

Giani Granite Paint was used to transform my counter tops. I was surprised at how great the results turned out, even Chris's guy friends commented on how great it looked. It is holding up well so far and it was such an inexpensive upgrade that looks great.  Now to get rid of that drippy faucet and change out the cabinet handles and knobs to something satin nickel and we will be set.

Did you notice that big hole up to the right of my counter top? Yea, that's where my fridge should be and finally I got one in there on Sunday.
In an act of desperation and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for a new fridge I turned to Craigslist. You never to know what to trust out there but our friends recently bought a fridge from a place off Highway 94 for super cheap and I thought I should give it a try after I saw this French door fridge.

The place was literally someone's garage beneath a strip mall but it was legit...I got this baby, which retails for $1300 for $660! Plus they delivered. I really wanted a stainless French door but price and size ended up being a factor and ultimately I had to settle for this white LG slim series model. It is working great so far except for a burnt out LED light which is being repaired tomorrow.


Have I mentioned that warranties are a wonderful thing? So far we have utilized not one, not two, but FOUR different warranties for different items in the last week. The fridge light mentioned above, we broke a chair to our new dining set while putting it together so that is being replaced at no charge however we have to wait 4 weeks (sad face), our new TV came without screws to attach the base to TV so Vizio is sending those out too (another week wait on that one), and our water heater started leaking gas on Saturday so that home warranty we made the seller's include with the purchase was definitely the right move. It seemed like everything started going wrong towards the end of last week with things breaking but I just had to remember to breathe. My tire even went flat on Monday! What can I say, when it rains it pours.

But I freaking love my new house!

You Might Also Like

0 comments