Soup-er Duper!

Monday, November 07, 2011

Have I told you that I am trying not eat out in the month of November? Well, I am. And I have even given a cute little nickname...."No Fast Food November"

The month of October was a wreck on my personal eating habits, I blame it mostly on being too tired and of course the St. Louis Cardinals post season. I just wanted to come home with some Jack in the Box or Wendy's or McDonald's or...you get the idea, and veg out in front of the tv. And while the fast food wreaked havoc on my body (why, hello extra five pounds) it also took a sizable chunk out my income...to the tune of almost $230! To be fair, my fast food trips were usually feeding Christopher and myself. But still...OMG.

Here enters No Fast Food November.

And so far it is has been delicious and on track, I have only eaten out for a school lunch with my co-workers and a bachelorette party this weekend.

Some ways I am staying on track included buying a Crock Pot. People at work couldn't believe I didn't have one. I made a delicious pot roast with potatoes and carrots last night. Swiss Chicken on Friday night. And tonight....Houlihan's Potato Soup.

I followed the recipe I found on GroupRecipes.com and I kid you not, it is the exact same as Houlihans. It was heavenly! Chris had never tried it before and easily ate up two huge bowls. My man was impressed.

It did take some time to prepare though. The recipe says 40 minutes, but it was more like and hour and a half from start to finish. This was mostly due to the fact that I added bacon (which is shown in the picture, but not in the recipe. Trust me, spend the extra time and add the bacon, it's worth it!) Luckily, I had the good sense to bake the potatoes yesterday. But it was a fun, Chris helped cook and it was a nice little Monday night.

Did I mention there were leftovers? I now have my lunch for tomorrow, score!

So far, I have spent more money on groceries, but I feel better about myself for not hitting the drive thru and hopefully I will be able to keep my promise to myself. Something to aid me in my plan will be next when I spend the WHOLE WEEK with my students in the woods. Yep, it is Outdoor School time. And there is no fast food in sight. Thank goodness!

What about you? Cook anything good lately? Or have you fallen into a fast food rut?

You Might Also Like

0 comments