10 Years Later

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I have been reading a few news reports about the new 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero (which I think is stunning, btw) and the "where are they now?" type stories from those who survived. An article in People about the children who never met their fathers because they died that day had me in tears. It is just unbelievable to think that 10 years has already passed.

I can remember that Tuesday so vividly. I was a junior in high school sitting in Mrs. Ohlms morality class when another teacher walked in and told us to turn on the tv because the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. It wasn't soon after that we saw the second plane crash and then the towers fall altogether about an hour later. That day passed so slowly.

And now I am in a different position, teaching about this day to students who were one year old at the time. Some know more about the day than others but it was definitely interesting to explain what happened. Soon, I will be teaching children who weren't even born in 2001. But no matter how far we get away from September 11, 2001, it is important to keep teaching about it and remembering those who died.

We will never forget.

You Might Also Like

0 comments